Monday, March 1, 2010

More conferences!

Sunny, 36 degrees

The first day of March, can't believe it's finally here! March is a good month, in no small part because it is not February, which has to rank as the worst in my mind. Instead of seemingly endless dreary cold days, the snow on the sides of the roads blackened with soot and pollution, March brings us the first good look at the bare ground again. And that is itself a welcome sight. Many birds return, and we know for sure even though we may still get the occassional snow storm, Spring is truly on it's way.

This past weekend we attended the 21st annual Organic Farming Conference in LaCrosse, WI. This particular conference focuses on organic and sustainable farming practices of all types, from small grains to vegetables to livestock, grazing, etc. So this was a much bigger gathering than the grazing conference I went to last week, probably 6X as many attendees. People from all walks of rural life came from all over the country to hear the latest on research and practice, see the vendors and speak with pioneers in the field and newbies just dreaming of an agrarian lifestyle. Presenters were both university researchers and farmers themselves, and everyone had something interesting to say.

Karen and Birk and I all had a great time. There is a wonderful childcare center there, and during meals and other times when we did have Birk with us, she couldn't wait to get back to the other kids.

I attended workshops such as Three Years of Raising Hogs In An Organic Apple Orchard, USDA Conservation Programs for Organic and Transitioning Farmers, Multi Species Pasture Stacking, Alternative Hog Production, Parasite control in Organic Livestock, and Dairy Young Stock Disease Prevention. I learned something in all of them. There was also a great book store there, with a selection to make a small sustainable farmer want to break the piggy bank! I know we bought at least two books. One big book I got was on soil science. I have known for a long time that I need to learn more about soils and what's going on down there. It's not that I haven't been interested, it's just that I know it's a very big topic and it won't be easy to stop once I scratch the surface so I've been purposely focusing on the critters and relationships I can see above ground. But the time is right, now. Soil science is one of those things I wish I could learn in a classroom, at least parts of it. It's so vast, and complex, and important I just think it would be great to be able to focus several weeks on it at a time, as well as interact with an instructor who has lots of answers. Maybe some day I will be able to take just such a class at a local community college. Maybe after I take that course on welding I've always wanted to take... so many topics, so little time.

I've always enjoyed training conferences, whatever the topic, if they were put on even half decently. These last two weeks have got me really excited again about our future plans for Prairie Fire Farm. I'm so glad that Karen came to this last one, too (actually, she'll tell you that I kind of balked at going to this one, and thought I'd only go to the grazing conference, but that is another story). It was a great way for us to share the excitement, and it really has helped us talk through some planning roadblocks we've been experiencing. (Mostly due to my overly cautious nature) So Karen and I are making headway together and that feels great. I'm sure the other families we saw there also enjoyed a similar boost in morale and energy. Now we have to wade through, READ, and put away all the information packets, flyers, brochures and newsletters we picked up!

No comments: