Friday, April 2, 2010




Partly sunny, warm, 79 degrees
The weather has been beautiful yesterday and today. Very warm, though breezy. Yesterday while the guys continued working on the fence, which is making great progress, Karen and I rented a rototiller and tilled the garden. Their is a cold front coming, and it's supposed to rain tonight or tomorrow, so we're hoping to get the peas and beans and onion sets in the ground before that comes.

I have been running back and forth a lot between here and Janesville & Stoughton getting supplies for the fence work. This morning I left early and made what I hope to be my last run for this project! Most of the wire has been stretched and stapled at this point. Just a few more lines of that to run, then put on the gates, and it's done. Well, their work is done, I still need to run a strand of barb wire at the bottom all the way around, otherwise pigs will simply dig under the fence. I don't know how well received the news that we are going to be putting pigs out there is by the neighbors. This is an area where even most dairies have gone to confinement for the cattle in the barns. We will be the only pastured hog raisers in our area that I am aware of.

Haven't had as much opportunity to cut up the wood in the pasture as I had planned, but I am about to get to that after I finish writing this. My sis is coming out for the day to help around the place.


Yesterday I noticed a flat on the trailer, need to deal with that one of these days before I really need it. But it reminded me of how far we've come in the last year. Whenever I have needed to haul stuff, and that has been plenty! lately, I am able to jump in my truck, and back her right up to the trailer or the stock trailer and get it done. A year ago, we didn't have a truck, or a trailer, and it made these little trips and projects much, much more difficult if not impossible. It sure is nice to have stuff. Like the ramps we got to unload the wood stove out of the back of the pickup. They were indispensible in loading and unloading the rototiller as well. Yep, it's good to have stuff.

This warm weather is welcome by the baby pigs as much as by us. I've been able to turn their heat lamp off, and they are really growing! They are really good at eating hay - here is a picture of one little guy half buried in a pile of it, looking for oats, wheat heads, and whatever else it is a pig can find to munch on.

No comments: