Saturday, May 2, 2009

I smell hazelnut encrusted pork in our future.....

Had to work today, but I've got the next 5 days off. I knew back in March or so that I would need this time to get things ready for the Spring rush. Baby chicks are coming next week, the garden needs planting, yard needs attending, we want to put in rain barrels, etc. There are just a million projects and little jobs that need doing. I look forward to the time, but I know it will end too fast and I will be disappointed in how much I did not manage to cross off the list.
Nevertheless, after work today we all planted the two hazelnut trees, worked in the yard some, watered the new plants, and I mowed the lawn for the first time this year while Karen planted the rhubarb crown we got. We had chicken on the grill, made with the two barbecue sauces I tried on the ribs earlier. Delicious!
And oh, yeah! I started my first try at home made bacon today. took a hunk of fresh side pork as it's called in these parts, and rubbed it with half a cup of salt and half a cup of maple syrup. Popped it into the fridge to let it marinate. This should take a few days. I may need to check it in a few days to change the salt for fresh, etc. This process draws out much of the moisture, so that it keeps longer in addition ot flavoring it. When it has been salted enough, I will rinse it and dry it off, then I will attempt my first real smoke. I'm very excited to try it. It is a deliciously, beautifully slow process. Stay tuned!

No comments: