Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Letting go

Yesterday just after posting I went to check on Frances. Red called to go over our checklist of supplies as she was getting ready to leave work and come back from town. "Go check on her"- I didn't want to. As I suspected she was dead. I tried to call my ex in Michigan to ask to speak with Birkleigh to tell her. She's there for spring break. When she asked Birk, whose feeling yucky with a cold, Birk's response was that "I don't want to talk to Mama- she's going to tell me Frances is dead." I suggested they could tell her I could just read a story to her and not discuss chickens. We're so honest about stuff but I guess in this moment, my kiddo is telling me she needs me to protect her a bit. She'll know soon enough.

We have some feathers saved and enough blue eggs to dye for easter.

We're going to miss her.
Karen

No comments: