Monday, October 20, 2008

Ok- so now we're really farming




Last night 6 porcine wonders arrived at Prairie Fire Farm. I had been in Chicago, celebrating Jeanette & Tanya as they get ready for a new baby this winter, and was able to come home a couple of hours after the pigs. I guess one escaped during the loading in and our new neighbor Larry arrived just in time to help. Birkleigh was excited to jump right in with the excited pigs and perhaps contributed a bit to the chaos. Red worked so hard to get the barn ready for the deep bedding system that will keep them warm this winter and on Saturday we went to her old farm to salvage some gates and supplies (thank you Kathy). Thanks to another neighbor, Curt, who lent us his pickup and flat bed trailer.... and our new friend Julia who thought to call us when she heard someone was looking to sell some feeders.... and my friends in Chicago planning to find room in their freezers for the end result. The arrival of the hogs is exactly what I hope farming to be. A connection to community. I could not be feeling more grateful as I have this last week. Can't wait to get to know these piggies!

No comments: